MOUNTPOTTINGER PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
MOUNTPOTTINGER PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH

1925 - 1961

Rev M A Thompson took up his ministry at Mountpottinger Presbyterian on 20th May 1925. At the time of his installation the congregation purchased the Manse at North Road from Mr Brown, a member of the Session. It was during his ministry that the Session granted approval for a Boys’ Brigade Company to be established under the Captaincy of Mr A H McRoberts who was at that stage the Hon Secretary of Committee. The 20th Company of the Girl’s Life Brigade was also formed before Mr Thompson’s retirement. The climax of Mr Thompson’s long and devoted ministry to Mountpottinger was marked by the installation of the Stain-glass Windows in 1950 and the dedication of the War Memorial Pipe Organ, at a service on Sunday 1st March 1953. The Memorial Tablet and Roll of Honour to those who fell and those who served during the Second World War was also unveiled by Mr Thompson. Rev M A Thompson retired in May 1953 and died at the age of 78 on 1st September 1962.

Rev E A Russell was installed on 10th December 1953. A native of Belfast, Mr Russell attended Royal Belfast Academical Institution for five years, after which he entered business for a short time before being called to the Ministry. He then studied at Magee College, Assembly’s College and Edinburgh University and gained his B.A. in London University. In the year after his installation 96 families joined our membership and 49 new names were added to the Communion Roll. Two missions were held during the ministry of Mr Russell and as a result of the first mission a Young People’s Christian Endeavour Society was formed to encourage and strengthen the youth in their faith, while the demand for the re-organisation of the Badminton Club was also successful. Rev Russell was appointed to the chair of New Testament Language, Literature and Theology in the Assembly’s College, Belfast in 1961 and although the congregation were sorry to part with him and his family, at the same time rejoiced to know that he had been called to a task of great responsibility for which he was eminently suited.

Print Print | Sitemap Recommend this page Recommend this page
© MOUNTPOTTINGER PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH 2016